SAJE Executive Board members for the period 1 May 2018 to 30 April 2020
SAJE PRESIDENT: Mageshen Naidoo (UP)
SAJE VICE PRESIDENT: Neil Gonsalves (UKZN)
SAJE SECRETARY: Ann Barr
SAJE TREASURER: Diane Rossi
SAJE International Rep: Moreira Chonguica (Morejazz)
SAJE Board Members (1 May 2018 to 30 April 2020)
Carlo Mombelli (Wits), Amanda Tiffin (UCT), Ronel Nagfaal (Groote Schuur High School), Phuti Sephuru (UP)
Mike Rossi (UCT), Mike Campbell (UCT), John Edwards (NMU)
Ex-officio: Darius Brubeck, Alan Webster (NYJF)
SAJE Executive Board for April 2016 - April 2018
President: Mageshen Naidoo (Univ of Pretoria)
Vice President: Neil Gonsalves (Univ of KwaZulu-Natal)
Secretary: Ann Barr (CapeTownBigBandJazzFestival)
Treasurer: Diane Rossi
International Representative: Moreira Chonguica (Morejazz)
SAJE Board Members for April 2016 - April 2018
Mike Campbell, Marc Duby, Mike Rossi, Paul Sedres
John Edwards, Ronel Nagfaal, David Bass, Carlo Mombelli
Ex-officio: Darius Brubeck, Alan Webster
2012 - 2016 SAJE EXECUTIVE BOARD:
2012 - 2016 SAJE BOARD:
- SAJE President: Mike Rossi (woodwinds) – Professor at SA College of Music, UCT since 2000; Acting Director: Centre for Jazz and Popular Music at UKZN, Durban and Fulbright jazz specialist scholar to UKZN, Durban in 1999/2000; visiting lecturer at UCT and UKZN in 1989, 1992, 1993, 1997.
- SAJE Vice-President: Mageshen Naidoo (guitar) Directorate of Music, UNISA, 2011 to present; Acting Director Music Dept at UKZN, Durban 2010 - 2011; Director: Centre for Jazz and Popular Music at UKZN, Durban – 2007 to 2011
- SAJE Secretary: Ann Barr – Director: Cape Town Big Band Jazz Festival (17 years)
- SAJE Treasurer: Diane Rossi – extensive arts (theatre and music) and events administration experience in SA and the USA - 1978 to the present
- SAJE International Rep: Paul Sedres (SA/Paris) – Arts Administrator: SA College of Music at UCT (20 plus years), extensive experience with formal and non-formal music programs and artists in the Western Cape and beyond; cultural and heritage practitioner, event manager and radio journalist
2012 - 2016 SAJE BOARD:
- Ronel Nagfaal (saxophone) – Music teacher and jazz band conductor at Alexander Sinton High School, Athlone. She is a committed educator, with years of experience in the live music sector.
- Thulile Zama (vocals) – Administrator: Centre for Jazz and Popular Music @ UKZN, Durban – 2011 to present; versatile vocalist with a wide repertoire.
- Karendra Devroop (saxophone) – Professor of Music and Director of the School of Music and Conservatory at North West University, Potchefstroom, 2009 to present.
- Nick Carter (guitar) – HOD: Contemporary Music, St John’s College, Johannesburg
- Suli Moosa – musican, teacher, jazz afficianado with extensive knowledge of local and international musicians
- David Bass (piano) – part-time musician,specialist physician, medical law and litigation consultant
- Eric Alan – jazz radio broadcaster with FMR (Fine Music Radio) and Radio 2000 - Jazz Rendezvous
- Mike Campbell (bass) – HOD Jazz Studies, SA College of Music @ UCT, 1989 to present; prolific composer and big band leader.
- Marc Duby (bass) – Professor of Musicology at UNISA from June 2011; Professor and Head of Department of Music and Musicology at Rhodes University in 2008 -2011; sixteen years in Music Dept at Tshwane University of Technology
- Neil Gonsalves (piano) – Music Lecturer, Music Dept @ UKZN, Durban; Director: Centre for Jazz and Popular Music, UKZN, Durban, 2011 to present; HOD Music @ DIT, Durban
- Alan Webster (ex-officio) – Director: National Youth Jazz Festival (Grahamstown) since 2001; Music teacher at Stirling High School, East London.
- Darius Brubeck (ex-officio) – freelance musician based in London, UK; taught in Music Dept at UKZN from 1983-2006; ex- director of Centre for Jazz and Popular Music @ UKZN